Pet odors may have been left behind by your former tenant if they had pets. It can be difficult to deal with a smelly rental property, particularly if your new tenants don’t own pets or are extremely sensitive to pet odors. Pet odors can be challenging to get rid of from a rental property, especially if the tenant has occupied the space for a long period or the pets have caused significant damage. These expert tips may be helpful to restore your property and get the pet odors out.
The Quick Science Behind Pet Odors
Pet-friendly rental properties frequently experience an issue with foul pet odors. Pet urine and feces contain bacteria that decompose into volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which contribute to foul odors and health issues. Regularly cleaning carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces with enzymatic cleaners will eliminate pet odors. Regular cleaning and establishing clear expectations for tenants are also crucial in preventing pet odors.
Methods for Removing Pet Odors from Your Rental Property
In order to ensure the safety of both animals and people, it is critical to use pet-friendly cleaning products when cleaning surfaces such as upholstery, carpets, and hard surfaces. Additionally, regular cleaning and maintenance can safeguard against the development of pet odors.
- Enzymatic cleaners are the most effective method for eliminating pet odors due to the fact that they contain enzymes that degrade the odor-causing bacteria. Enzymatic cleaners are safe to use on hard surfaces, carpets, and upholstery. Pet feces and urine can also leave stains and discolorations that they can help remove. Nevertheless, their cost may surpass that of alternative cleaning products.
- Baking soda and vinegar are all-natural disinfectants that are effective against pet odors. Effective against odors, baking soda functions as a natural deodorizer. After scattering baking soda over upholstery and carpets, vacuum the area after a few hours. To clean hard surfaces, use a spray bottle to combine vinegar and water. It is possible to eliminate bacteria and viruses with vinegar, a natural disinfectant.
- Activated charcoal enables the elimination of pet odors as a natural odor absorber. The rental property can be made odor-free by placing a few bowls of activated charcoal around the rental home. It can be difficult to clean up and can be messy.
- Air purifiers helps absorb pet smells from the air. Air purifiers function by removing allergens and pet dander. Nonetheless, they are often costly and demand routine maintenance.
Keeping Your Rental Property Odor-Free
It is critical to implement preventative measures against pet odors in order to maintain the cleanliness of rental properties. Frequent upkeep and cleaning can help prevent pet odors from becoming a problem. The following are suggestions for averting future pet odors:
- Set clear expectations for tenants with pets. It’s crucial to be clear about expectations with pet-owning tenants so they know what’s expected of them in terms of maintaining the rental property odor-free and clean. This may entail making them regularly clean up after their pets go outside or requiring them to use odor control techniques like pee pads.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance: Pet odors can be avoided in part by routine maintenance and cleaning. This includes cleaning carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces on a regular basis to prevent the accumulation of pet odor. Safe cleaning products for both humans and animals must be utilized.
- Air purifiers: Pet odors can be reduced in the air with the use of air purifiers. They function through the filtration of pet dander and other allergens. To mitigate the potential issue of pet odors, it is advisable to install air purifiers in communal spaces of the rental unit.
- Limit the number and size of animals: In rental properties, odors and property damage can be better managed by restricting the quantity and size of animals. As a result, pet odors between tenants may be effectively eliminated.
Pet odors can lead to health issues and lower the value of rental properties. Landlords and property managers can prevent these problems by being aware of pet odors and using effective ways to get rid of them, like air purifiers, baking soda and vinegar, enzymatic cleaners, and activated charcoal. It is also essential to prevent pet odors in rental units by limiting the number and size of animals, maintaining regular cleanliness and maintenance, and establishing clear expectations for tenants with pets. Rental properties can continue to be odor-free and appealing to prospective tenants by taking these steps.
Get in touch with Real Property Management Lakeview right now to begin enjoying the efficiency and peace of mind that come with dealing with a property management firm that serves Flower Mound and the neighborhood. Contact us online or call us at 940-323-0505.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.